Our volunteers are the life force behind our organization, caring for everything from the day-to-day business in the shelter… to the animals in the shelter, of course!
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Dog Handling
- Doggy Day Out Pick Up
- Food and Enrichment Prep
- K9 Social Groups
- Kennel Cleaning
- Doggy Playgroup
- Community Cat Trapping
- Adoption Floor/Intake Cleaning
- Feline Socialization
- Foster Opportunities
- Maintenance/Yard Care
- Office/Clerical Support
- Offsite Adoption Events
- Pet Retention Programs (Food bank, vaccine clinic, etc.)
- PetSmart Cat Care
Before you commit to helping our furry friends, please review our volunteer requirements.
- Volunteers are required to become members of our organization at a discounted rate of $15.00/year to help defer the costs of volunteer apparel and training. Membership dues are to be paid at orientation.
- Volunteers must commit to at least 6 months of volunteering with the Allen County SPCA.
- Volunteers must be able to complete at least 4 hours every 30 days with the Allen County SPCA.
- Volunteers must be willing to create a weekly or every other week schedule that fits their and the shelter’s needs.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer without a parent or guardian present.
- Volunteers 12–15 years of age must have a parent or guardian present and actively volunteering alongside them. Parent or guardian is limited to 1 person, but may have up to 2 volunteers with them.
- Volunteers 18+ must have a valid form of photo ID.
- Volunteers aged 16–17 must have a parent or guardian sign a volunteer release form.
- Volunteers must be able to communicate professionally, as human interaction is a requirement of all volunteer roles.
- Volunteers must read and comprehend detailed policy and protocol information, as well as being able to remember and follow shelter protocols.
- Volunteers must have regular access to an email account and be able to use simple software to log their volunteer hours.
- Volunteers can be terminated if they do not abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the Allen County SPCA.
If you need volunteer hours for school, work or community service, or if you’re looking for single day group events, please contact the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 260 744-0454 x204.
Already a volunteer? Access our volunteer portal below to record your volunteer hours! It helps us receive much needed future funding.